On Wednesday, the bodies of 16 Honduran migrants killed in Tamaulipas, in northern Mexico, arrived to Honduran soil. The president of Ecuador, Rafael Correa, revealed the existence of another survivor.
The Honduran president, Porfirio Lobo, received the bodies together with the families. The president noted, “This is a sad time for Honduras.”
The coordinator of the public prosecutor’s office, Daniela Ferrera, ruled out the carrying-out of autopsies on the bodies. But she said the victims should undergo dental, DNA and fingerprint tests to confirm identity.
Last week, a mass grave was found containing 72 bodies in the state of Tamaulipas. According to one survivor, the people were migrants on their way to the United States.
Meanwhile, the government of Honduras evaluates presenting a claim against Mexico for the deaths of at least 16 Hondurans in the massacre.
Moreover, the Ecuadorian survivor of the shootings, Luis Freddy Lala Pomadilla, returned to his country.
The president of Ecuador, Rafael Correa, confirmed the existence of another survivor of Honduran nationality.
Correa said, “Freddy said that there was another Honduran survivor, who we do not want to put at risk.”
According to official figures, so far this year more than 30,000 undocumented Hondurans were deported to Mexico and the United States.
The president of the Committee of Relatives of Detainees and Disappeared in Honduras, Bertha Oliva, confirmed the discovery in San Pedro Sula of a mass grave with more than 100 bodies of missing people.
In addition, after Lobo stepped up to power last January, ten journalists were killed.
Story courtesy of Agencia Pulsar, a news agency run by AMARC-ALC network of community radios