Tag Archive | "colombia"

Colombia: FARC Declares Unilateral Ceasefire


FARC flag

FARC flag

In an historic first, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) have declared an indefinite, unilateral ceasefire which will come into effect on 20th December.

Iván Márquez, the chief negotiator for FARC, read the statement yesterday in Havana, Cuba, in which the group said they hoped the ceasefire “would turn into an armistice”.

“We want to overcome the useless bloodshed,” he said, but added that the ceasefire would be terminated if they found that their guerrilla structures had been targeted by security forces. He went on to ask the public to act as overseer to the ceasefire. FARC also asked for oversight from Unsaur, Celac, the International Committee of the Red Cross, and the Frente Amplio por la Paz.

Colombia’s government responded to the news cautiously, saying that the decision goes in the right direction but that the organisation could not repeat past experiences of ceasefires that had only been partially followed. “All armed activity and threats to the civilian population must cease,” said the government in a statement.

The announcement came as the current round of peace talks between Juan Manuel Santos’ administration and the FARC draws to a close in Havana.

The peace talks, which began in November 2012, aim to put an end to over half a century of armed conflict that has killed over 220,000 people and displaced over two million.

Posted in News From Latin America, Round Ups Latin AmericaComments (0)

IACHR Rules Against Colombia Over Disappearances


The new Palace of Justice building in Bogotá (photo: Wikipedia)

The new Palace of Justice building in Bogotá (photo: Wikipedia)

The Inter-American Court of Human Rights (IACHR) has issued a ruling against the Colombian state for its responsibility in the forced disappearance of 11 people in 1985.

The ruling refers to the incident occurred on 6th and 7th November 1985, when guerrilla group M-19 took over the Palace of Justice in Bogotá, holding the Supreme Court hostage and demanding a public trial against then-president Belisario Betancur. The government then carried out a two-day military operation to take back the building, in which almost 100 people died, including 11 Supreme Court judges, and 11 were disappeared.

According to the IACHR ruling, it was proved that “there was a modus operandi that tended to the forced disappearance of people considered suspicious of having participated in the Palace of Justice siege or of having collaborated with the M-19.” It adds that “the suspects were separated from the other hostages, taken to military institutions, in some cases tortured, and their whereabouts were then unknown.”

The ruling sentences the Colombian state to pay millions of US dollars in compensation to the victims’ families. It also demands that investigations into the incidents be carried out and that those responsible be sentenced, as well as “the whereabouts of the 11 victims who are still disappeared [to be determined] as soon as possible.”

The state will also have to give medical and psychological treatment to the victims who need it, and to carry out a public and international acknowledgment of its responsibility and film a documentary about the Palace of Justice Siege.

Colombia is the second country with the most suits filed against it at the IACHR (after Peru), with over 1,600 requests for reparations. It has been sentenced 15 times by the organisation.

Posted in News From Latin America, Round Ups Latin AmericaComments (0)

Colombia: FARC Release Kidnapped General, Peace Talks To Resume


President Santos met with the government negotiators on Sunday night, before their trip to Cuba (photo: César Carrión - SIG/Colombian government)

President Santos met with the government negotiators on Sunday night, before their trip to Cuba (photo: César Carrión – SIG/Colombian government)

The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) released kidnapped General Rubén Darío Alzate and two other Army staff on Sunday morning.

The three Army personnel were delivered to the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), thus removing the obstacle to the resumption of the peace talks in Havana. The Colombian government representatives are travelling to Cuba today and expect to resume the negotiations within the next few days.

“The negotiators will travel to Cuba this afternoon, they have a meeting in a couple of days; the Cuban government has requested that we don’t hold the meeting within the next few days as they are going to need to convention centre for a series of events,” explained Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos.

Once there, they will “evaluate where the process is at, where we’re going, and will carry out a cold and objective evaluation of the process to see how we can move forward,” added Santos.

After the release, the FARC released a statement calling for “the re-design of the rules”. “It is time for a bilateral ceasefire, for an armistice, so that no war-related occurrence in the battle fields can justify the interruption of such a beautiful and historical task, which is agreeing peace for a nation that longs for that destiny.”

However, President Santos rejected the ceasefire once more. “I have the conviction that negotiating during the ongoing conflict is the best way to preserve the essential elements of the state and to keep the conversations from turning into an endless exercise,” he said.

He also acknowledged the role of the FARC in the release operation: “Even though the step taken by the FARC follows the duty to act as per the law, it is evident that the decision [to free the prisoners] contributes to recover a favourable climate to carry on with the dialogues,” as well as “it shows the maturity of the process.”

Christoph Harnisch, head of the ICRC in Colombia, said in a statement that the operation was carried out “thanks to the trust the parties put into the institution and its humanitarian work,” and hoped that the negotiations “can be resumed soon.” The guarantor countries, Norway and Cuba, also praised both parties for their “constructive position” and supported the ongoing peace process.

Posted in News From Latin America, Round Ups Latin AmericaComments (0)

Colombia: FARC Releases Two Soldiers


President Santos at yesterday's press conference (photo: Javier Casella/AFP/Télam)

President Santos announced the suspension of the peace talks last week (photo: Javier Casella/AFP/Télam)

The Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarias de Colombia (FARC) released yesterday the two soldiers they had captured on 9th November.

The soldiers, Paulo Rivera and Jonathan Díaz, were handed over to a commission formed by members of the International Committee of the Red Cross and the governments of Cuba and Norway, the guarantors of the peace talks between the Colombian government and the FARC.

The release was carried out in an undisclosed location in the district of Arauca. The soldiers were then taken by the Army to the capital Bogotá, where they will undergo medical check-ups and reunite with their families.

In a statement, the FARC said they will now “focus their efforts” on the release of General Rubén Darío Alzate and two other army staff who were kidnapped on 16th November. President Juan Manuel Santos confirmed the release of Alzate will take place on Saturday, and announced on Twitter that the military operations on the Pacific coast have been suspended in order to facilitate the release.

The FARC denounced military operations during the release of the two soldiers, and demanded the Army respects the Special Humanitarian Agreement in the upcoming release of Alzate. “During the release of the general [Alzate] we don’t want any risks of clashes due to [the Army] not following the protocols. Yesterday, when the Alfonso Castellanos Column of the Tenth Front was going to the place of release of the prisoners, an Army patrol appeared by surprise in the area, which forced them to avoid them and change the site chosen for the release,” said a statement by the guerrilla.

President Santos suspended the peace talks as information about the kidnapping of General Alzate became known. He affirmed that they would not resume until Alzate was freed. Last week, the FARC agreed to the release of the prisoners —including Alzate, the two army staff travelling with him, and the two soldiers captured on 9th November— after representatives from Cuba and Norway intervened in the conflict.

Posted in News From Latin America, Round Ups Latin AmericaComments (0)

The Indy’s Weekly Review – 21st November 2014


Coming up on this episode of The Indy’s Weekly Review:

We look back on a tense week in Colombia, after peace talks with the FARC were suspended following the kidnapping of an army general; we speak to human rights lawyer Marcos Filardi about proposed changes to Argentina’s seed law; and after the recent murder of Miss Honduras caused media furore, we question why some lives seem to matter more than others to the media.

All that, plus the main news headlines from Argentina and Latin America and an exclusive preview of the upcoming album by this week’s featured artist, Chaski Pum.

 

(Click on ‘Descargar’ to download)

Presented by: Kristie Robinson & Marc Rogers
Production: Celina Andreassi
Editing: Pablo Fisher

We will be looking to continually improve and add to this podcast, and we’d love to hear your feedback on it, as well as suggestions for any additional stories or content you’d like to hear in it in the future. Send us an email at info@argentinaindependent.com, or comment on our Facebook or Twitter pages.

Posted in Analysis, PodcastComments (1)

Colombia: FARC Agrees to Release General After Guarantors Intervene


The guarantors from Cuba and Norway announce that FARC will release captured soldiers (Photo via PazFARC-EP)

The guarantors from Cuba and Norway announce that FARC will release captured soldiers (Photo via PazFARC-EP)

The Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarias de Colombia-Ejército del Pueblo (FARC-EP) have agreed to release a kidnapped Colombian army general, clearing the path for the resumption of peace talks with the government.

International guarantors in the peace talks between the Colombian government and the FARC announced last night that the guerrilla group would return Rubén Darío Alzate and two other army personnel who were kidnapped on Sunday in the district of Chocó.

The representatives from Norway and Cuba also said that the FARC had agreed to release two other soldiers that had been kidnapped on 9th November. The liberation process will be supervised by the mediating countries and the International Red Cross.

Colombia president Juan Manuel Santos said he would “guarantee” the safe return of the soldiers. “The government will collaborate to guarantee the safe return of these people to their home, which we hope will be in the shortest time possible,” read a statement from the president. “One they are free, the government’s peace delegation will return to Havana.

General Alzate is the highest-ranking army officer to have ever been kidnapped by the FARC, which blamed the government for not accepting a ceasefire proposal while the peace talks continued. The guerrilla group says it has agreed to stop the kidnapping of civilians but consider the capture of Alzate and other military personnel to be an act of war.

Peace talks between the FARC and government began in Havana in November 2012. So far, the two sides have reached an agreement on three of the five key issues to be addressed before a final peace accord can be signed.

The current round of negotiation involve discussions over the victims of Colombia’s internal conflict.

Posted in News From Latin America, Round Ups Latin AmericaComments (0)

Colombia: Government Suspends Peace Talks Over Kidnapping


President Santos at yesterday's press conference (photo: Javier Casella/AFP/Télam)

President Santos at yesterday’s press conference (photo: Javier Casella/AFP/Télam)

Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos announced yesterday the suspension of the peace talks with the FARC, after it became known that an Army General had been kidnapped, allegedly by members of the guerrilla.

According to a witness, General Rubén Darío Alzate boarded a boat down the Atrato river in the district of Chocó on Sunday afternoon, with another soldier, an army lawyer, and the boatman. They were inspecting works being carried out by the Army in the district. Despite warnings by the accompanying soldier regarding the heavy presence of guerrilla members in the area, Alzate —who was dressed in civilian clothing— gave the order to continue down to the village of Las Mercedes.

Once in Las Mercedes, General Alzate, the soldier, and the lawyer disembarked and were met by FARC members who allegedly kidnapped all three of them. The boatman was able to escape and alert the authorities.

“It is the FARC, we already know that, who are responsible for this kidnapping,” said President Santos in a press conference on Sunday. “A totally unacceptable kidnapping. We have information that gives us the certainty that it was the FARC.”

The president continued: “Tomorrow [for today], peace negotiators were travelling to a new round of peace talks in Havana. I will tell the negotiators not to travel, and that this negotiation is suspended until this is cleared up and these people are freed.”

President Santos also requested an explanation from the Army authorities regarding “a series of circumstances that need to be cleared up. Why was General Alzate in civilian clothing. Why did he tell his escorts not to go with him. Why he did not heed the boatman’s warning to not keep going down the river.”

He also made comments about these issues on his Twitter account, saying: “Defense Ministry and Commander General: I want you to explain why BG Alzate broke all the security protocols and was in civilian clothing in a red zone.”

General Alzate is the highest-ranking army officer ever kidnapped by the FARC. As part of the peace process, the FARC had announced an end to hostage-taking.

Posted in News From Latin America, Round Ups Latin AmericaComments (0)

Colombia: Man Arrested over Venezuelan Politician’s Death


Robert Serra casting his vote in 2010, when he became the youngest member of the National Assembly (photo courtesy of Robert Serra's official facebook page)

Robert Serra casting his vote in 2010, when he became the youngest member of the National Assembly (photo courtesy of Robert Serra’s official facebook page)

Colombian officers have arrested Leiva Padilla in connection with last month’s murder of Venezuelan legislator Robert Serra and his partner María Herrera.

Padilla, aka ‘El Colombia’, was detained in a shopping centre in Cartagena by agents working for the Colombian National Investigation Authority, Dijín. A warrant had been emitted by Interpol for his arrest.

The couple were stabbed to death in their Caracas apartment on 1st October in a planned attack that Venezuelan officials have said involved a group of six “paramilitaries directed from Colombia”.

Padilla, who is thought to have been the mastermind behind the murders, is the 11th person to be arrested in connection with the murders, and Venezuelan president Nicolás Maduro has accused two police officials of being involved.

Serra, a 27-year-old criminal lawyer, was the youngest member of Venezuela’s National Assembly. A prominent lawmaker with close ties to President Nicolás Maduro, he was widely known as a pro-Chávez youth leader, and also for his strong statements in the assembly. He was elected in 2010.

In 2012 Serra’s bodyguard, Alexis Barreto, was killed. His body was found in a hill in the capital Caracas, and it was confirmed to have been a targeted assassination, as neither the money he was carrying nor his gun were taken.

Posted in News From Latin America, Round Ups Latin AmericaComments (0)

Colombia: Man Found Clinging to Icebox in Pacific


The municipality of Guapi is in south-west Colombia

The municipality of Guapi is in south-west Colombia

A Colombian fisherman has been rescued after two days floating alone in the Pacific Ocean, clinging to an icebox. Solano Salazar was found by a Colombian navy ship which was in the area, 35km south-west of the country’s coast.

The 47-year-old had gone out fishing with a companion last week, setting out from the Guapi area, but two days later the boat capsized in bad weather. He then spent two days sent drifting in the open sea.

“I thought I was going to die. I couldn’t think of anything else,” he said after the rescue.

Captain Andrés Mejia, commander of Colombia’s Pacific coast guard, confirmed that Salazar had been taken to Malaga hospital after being given first aid on the ship, saying that Salazar was suffering from dehydration.

Salazar’s companion has not been found.

 

Posted in News From Latin America, Round Ups Latin AmericaComments (0)

Colombia: Farmers Sue BP in UK High Court


BP_LogoA group of Colombian subsistence farmers are suing British oil giant BP for environmental damages in a case that began today in the UK High Court, in London.

The 109 farmers are seeking £18m (US$29m) in compensation from BP, claiming that negligence in the construction of a pipeline in the 1990s led to a big impact on the local water supply and caused serious damage to land, crops, and livestock.

One of the farmers in London to testify in the trial told The Guardian that: “Our water supply has been damaged by sedimentation since the pipeline was laid, and I have lost cattle. I can no longer keep pigs or chickens because there is not enough water for them. The reason why we have travelled so far is because we have hope and faith that the high court in London will deliver justice to us.”

A lawyer for the farmers, Alex Layton, told the court that BP had “blamed everyone else while not accepting its responsibilities,” reports AFP.

BP defends itself against the allegations, saying it took “significant steps” to engage with local communities and pay fair compensation for any impact. Last month, the company was found guilty of gross negligence in the Deepwater Horizon disaster in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010.

This landmark trial is the first to feature a UK oil company in a UK court for alleged environmental damages caused to private land overseas. If the ruling goes in favour of the farmers it could open the path to other claims.

The trial is expected to last around eight months.

Posted in News From Latin America, Round Ups Latin AmericaComments (0)

Follow us on Twitter
Visit us on Facebook
View us on YouTube

On the 4th anniversary of the death of former president Néstor Kirchner, we revisit Marc Rogers' 2011 article analysing his legacy.

    Directory Pick

Magdalena's Party in Palermo

Magdalena’s Party has daily 2 x 1 Happy Hour specials til midnight, and the "best onda".
Sign up to The Indy newsletter